A CV is used primarily when applying for academic and research positions, plus fellowships and grants. A CV can include your academic background, as well as, teaching and research experience, publications, presentations, awards, honors, affiliations, among others.
Header & Footer
- Include your name, address, phone number, and email address. If you plan to move while the CV is in use, include your current address and permanent address.
- Number each page and include your name
- Include your PhD, institution, date expected, major or area of specialization, outside fields
- MA or MS, institution, date of degree, major and minor
- BA or BS, institution, date of degree, major and minor
- State the title and dissertation director
- Include a four- or five-sentence abstract or summary addressing both the content and methodology.
Honors and awards
- Special distinctions associated with passing the MA and PhD exams
- Fellowships, scholarship, grants-in-aid, etc.
- Honorary awards received including those received at the bachelor's level (avoid irrelevant non-academic awards)
- Position and institution
- Descriptive titles of courses taught; include URLs to conference presentations available online
- Extent of experience (number of sections and quarters, semesters or years)
- Teaching interests
- Position, location, dates
- Brief description of work conducted as it relates to the desired position
- Research interests
Other work experience
- Include research, consultation, and other experiences relevant to the type of position
- List all publications you are willing to show to a search committee; include URLs to papers accessible online
- Include work in progress or submitted but not yet accepted
Other possible headings
- Conference papers/research reports
- Academic service (committee work)
- Professional memberships (attendance at conferences/meetings can be noted)
- Language skills - describe skill level ("reading knowledge," or "fluent speaking ability")
- Miscellaneous categories when relevant to teaching/research
For undergraduate and more CV samples, download the Career Communication Guide (WiSDoM).