Read our Law guide to learn how to prepare and apply to these fields. Stay informed about upcoming programs, fairs, experiential opportunities and more by subscribing to Tumblr.
Explore the Profession
Discover whether a law career matches your interests, skills and abilities and meets your lifestyle expectations:
Get Experience & Prepare
Confirm your interest in law, prepare academically and develop the necessary skills and experience:
Apply to Schools
You typically apply to law school in the fall one year before you want to start the program. You will need to identify programs that match your interests and complete an application. Some steps take time so plan ahead!
- Schools & Programs –
- Find Law Schools – consider competitiveness, curriculum, cost and other Selection Factors
- Compare your stats to average GPA and LSAT scores for UCSD Law School Admits
- Gauge your likelihood of admission with the ABA Official Guide or Law School Locator
- See the list of CA law schools that are ABA or CBE approved or unaccredited
- Attend the UCSD Law School Fair and LSAC Forums to talk to school representatives
- Check the NAPLA/SAPLA Book of Law School Lists for areas of emphasis, clinical programs, student publications and organizations, scholarships, dual degrees, study abroad, admissions data, employment and bar passage rates, and other options
- Explore Public Interest programs
- Check our Rankings page for general or field-specific rankings of programs
- Workshops – Watch our Calendar for preparation and application how-to sessions
- LSAT – Prepare, Practice, and take the Law School Admission Test (LSAT)
- Applications - Carefully prepare and submit:
- Letters/Evaluations – Get to Know Writers and Collect Letters for LSAC’s Letters & Evaluation Service
- Application Essay – Write your Personal Statement and get a Critique
- Resume & Addenda – Prepare these Law School Supplements
- Financial Aid & Fellowships – Learn how to Pay For School
For additional help with your professional & graduate school preparation and application come into the Career Services Center or contact your Professional & Graduate School Advisors.