Medicine (also see Health)
Read our Medicine guide to learn how to prepare and apply to medical school. Also see our Osteopathic and Podiatry guides for additional information on those medical professions. Stay informed about upcoming programs, fairs, experiential opportunities and more by subscribing to Tumblr and the HMP3 Listerv.
Explore the Profession
Discover whether medicine matches your interests, skills and abilities and meets your lifestyle expectations:
Get Experience & Prepare
Confirm your interest in medicine, prepare academically and develop the necessary skills and experience:
Apply to Schools
You apply to medical school in the summer, one year before you want to start the program. Identify programs that match your interests and complete an application. Some steps take more time to complete than others, so plan ahead!
- Schools & Programs – Use the links below to identify programs with the curriculum, clinical training options and student services that match your needs. Consider your likelihood of admission and cost.
- Find Allopathic (MD), Osteopathic(DO), and Podiatric (DPM) medical schools
- Read Medical School Admission Requirements, which includes GPA and MCAT score ranges and means, state residency preferences, mission, costs, and other school specific information (purchase required).
- View National and UCSD Admissions Rates for MD and DO programs
- See where UCSD applicants have been admitted and where they matriculated
- Review MD program curriculum details and school-specific Medical Student Feedback
- Identify MD/PhD programs and Medical Scientist Training Programs (MSTP)
- Consider foreign medical training: California-Recognized schools, Australia, Ireland, and more (IMED)
- Attend our Graduate & Health School Fairs to talk to school representatives
- Explore relevant Rankings
- Workshops – Watch our Calendar for application how-to sessions
- MCAT – Prepare, Practice and take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
- Applications – Carefully prepare and submit:
- Primary Applications - centralized services that compile your transcripts, MCAT scores, essay and activities
- Secondary Applications - school-specific supplemental information including letters and additional essays
- Apply directly on schools’ websites for foreign schools and programs not using an application service
- Letters of Recommendation – Get to Know Writers and Collect Letters
- Application Essay – Write your Personal Statement and get a Critique
- Interviews – Get prepared for Interviews
- Financial Aid & Fellowships – Learn how to Pay For School
For additional help with your professional & graduate school preparation and application come into the Career Services Center or contact your Professional & Graduate School Advisors.