Apply and Pay for
Applying to veterinary medical school occurs in the summer, a year before the start of the program. Identify programs that match your interests and complete an application. Some steps take more time to complete than others, so plan ahead!
Take the Standardized Test
Requirements vary. Check with your schools for which tests to take.
- GRE: Prepare, Practice and take the Graduate Record Examination
Write Your Personal Statement
- Your personal statement is a one-page essay (not to exceed 3,000 characters) that gives veterinary admissions committees a clear picture of who you are and, most importantly, why you want
to pursue a career in veterinary medicine.
- Here are a few tips to help you successfully craft an effective personal statement:
• Explain a defining moment that helped steer you toward a career in veterinary medicine. Consider using that moment as the focal point of your essay.
• Be original and thoughtful: Discuss how you would contribute to the profession and patient care, all of which will help you stand out from other applicants.
• As you are telling why you want to pursue a career in veterinary medicine, explain why you are good candidate for veterinary school.
- Review 2022 VMCAS Applicant Guide for additional information on your personal statment
Select Schools & Programs
Consider curriculum, clinical training options, location and cost.
- Veterinary School Admissions Requirements (VMSAR) Learn about U.S., Canadian, and International Veterinary Medical Schools.
- 2022 VMCAS Applicant Guide
- Vet School Resources
- 2022 VMCAS Sample Application
- AAVMC Cost Comparison Tool
- Becoming a Veterinarian: Webinars & Events
- California Approved Veterinary Technician Programs
Submit Your Application
- VMCAS: the application service that compiles your transcripts, letters, essay and activities.
- Supplemental applications for schools which require them
Additional Application Information
Get more info and resources on your personal essay, interview tips, letters of evaluation and taking a gap year.