Basic Application Materials
Your advanced academic career has provided you with many sought-after skills needed to transition into a position outside academia. Becoming aware of these skills and how to effectively express them in a resume and cover letter as well as during the interview process can lead to fulfilling career opportunities.
Below are resources to help turn your CV into a resume or industry CV and write meaningful cover letters that complement your resume for a specific job. In addition, don't forget that making contacts in your field(s) or profession(s) of interest is not only an effective way to discover a satisfying job but that these contacts can serve as valuable resources to help hone your credentials.
Résumé & "Industry CV"
Template An easy to follow guide that will allow you to optimize your resume format and content.
Samples by discipline
- Bio Chemistry
- Computer Science & Engineering (Master's)
- Computer Science & Engineering (PhD)
- Mechanical Engineering (Master's)
Samples by profession
When applying for a job, you should always include a concise and tailored cover letter, unless specifically instructed not to do so.
Thank You Letter
Additional Support Materials
- Resume vs. CV tips, strategies & samples Courtesy of the University of Virginia
- Putting Your PhD to Work, Peter Fiske, PhD (information and samples)
- Preparing for the Non-Academic Job Search Handbook, Career Services Center, UCSD
- Most Sought-After Skills Acquired During a Typical PhD
- Top 10 PhD Stereotypes and how to combat them
- What You Don't Know About Cover Letters The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Recasting Yourself for Non-Academic Jobs The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Transferring Your Skills to a Non-Academic Setting The Chronicle of Higher Education
Life & BiomedicalSciences
- From a CV to a Resume The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Notes From a Recruiter's Diary A Plethora of CVs, Science Careers from the journal Science
- Tooling Up (for Industry) Series "Focus Your Industry CV," Science Careers from the journal Science
- Writing a Winning Cover Letter Science Careers from the journal Science
- The Commandments of Cover Letter Creation Peter Fiske, PhD Science Careers AAAS & journal Science
Thank you to UC San Francisco, University of Virginia, and the University of Washington
Professional & Career Development Centers