Frequently Asked Questions


Where should I look for job listings?

In order to search for job listings search Port Triton which has a variety of on-campus and off-campus work-study jobs, on-campus and off-campus non work-study, part time jobs, full time jobs and internships.

How do I navigate or find a job or resource on Port Triton?

How many hours can I work as a student?

Students are non-exempt employees and, in the case of undergrads, may work up to 40 hours/week. At 20+ hours/week, students accrue and may use sick leave. If a student works 20+ hours/week for 6 consecutive months, beginning on the 7th month, the student will accrue and may use vacation. Students may then be eligible for additional healthcare coverage according to the Affordable Care Act (ACA). If a student works 30+ hours/week and/or if they are enrolled in fewer than 6 units, DCP (Defined Contribution Plan) will be withheld from their check. Although students may work up to 40 hours/week, the allowable hours a student may work if they hold an additional on-campus job is up to the department’s discretion. 

How do I keep track of my hours?

Most student employees will report their time worked via My Time (online), paper time sheet, or both. Contact your supervisor or timekeeper if you have questions about  which one to use. In order to log into My Time, you will have to create an ACT Business Systems Account. ACT Business Systems is different than your UCSD student account, but it will still use your UCSD email. Once your account is created, go to > Personal Tools > My Time (online). From there you will be directed to your ACT Business Systems login page. Once you login, fill in your hours worked. If you have questions about your paper time sheet, talk to your supervisor or timekeeper.

When do I get paid? When is My Time/timesheets due?

UCSD Payroll is on a biweekly system. Click here for a list of current, future, and past payroll calendars. Dates that are marked in blue are days that you will get paid if your time sheet or My Time was turned in and approved on time. My Time is due before the end of the pay period, marked in yellow. Due dates for paper time sheets will vary. Contact your supervisor or timekeeper if you have any questions. REMEMBER: If you turn in your My Time or time sheet late you may not be paid on time.

How do I sign up for direct deposit? Once I sign up for direct deposit, how long before I no longer get paid by paper check?

For directions on how to enroll in payroll direct deposit, click here. Once you are signed up for direct deposit, you will no longer receive a paper paycheck after the current pay period.

How much can I expect to be paid?

Salaries vary due to experience, skill required, and qualifications. Students working at UCSD can expect to be paid from $11.50 to $22 per hour. Students working at UCSD usually work under three assistant classes: Assistant 2 (STDT 2), Assistant 3 (STDT 3), and Assistant 4 (STDT 4). Students can also work under Appointed Official, Camp Counselor, Elected Officer, Student Government, Recreation Program Instructor, Student Artist or Performer (STDT ARTIST OR PERF), Student Clinical (STDT CLIN), Student Events (STDT EVENTS), Student Information Technology (STDT IT), Student Peer Counselor (STDT PEER CNSLR), Student Researcher (STDT RESEARCHER), Student Residence Hall (STDT RSDNC HALL), Student Residence Hall Lead (STDT RSDNC HALLS LD).

What is STDT 2/3/4?

  • Assistant 4 4919 by agreement, $12.58 – $23.00/hr as of 01/01/17: Under general supervision, Assistant 4's perform a variety of complex duties in support of academic research projects; perform clerical, manual, advising and/or public contact duties which require the use of specialized skills; and may, in addition, coordinate the work of a group of lower-level assistants. The Assistant 4 class is distinguished from the Assistant 3 class by the greater degree of complexity involved in research and related assignments, more frequent use of specialized skills, and/or the responsibility for coordinating the work of a larger group of assistants.
  • Assistant 3 4920 by agreement, $11.85 – $18.82/hr as of 01/01/17: Under general supervision, Assistant 3's perform a variety of skilled duties in support of academic research projects, student advising, and contact with the public; perform clerical and manual duties requiring limited use of specialized skills; and may, in addition, coordinate the work of a group of lower-level assistants. Assistant 3 class is distinguished from the Assistant 2 class by the greater use of specialized skills and/or the responsibility for coordinating the work of one or more groups of assistants.
  • Assistant 2 4921 by agreement, $11.50 – $15.34/hr as of 01/01/17: Under supervision, Assistant 2's perform a variety of clerical and/or manual related duties which are usually semi-skilled in nature and do not require extensive skill, training, or experience.

Note: Specific examples of job duties are defined by the appropriate user departments. 

What do I do if I have a problem or conflict with my employer?

Click here for resources on how to handle conflict in the workplace and how to interact with difficult people. If you would like the schedule a meeting with the Student Employment Manager, please contact Mary Lewis by email or phone at 858-534-0150. Here are some additional resources: 
  • Office of Sexual Harassment Prevention and Policy, (858) 534-8298, deals with issues that involve unwanted sexual attention.
  • Workers’ Compensation, (858) 534-4785, assists employees who have a work-related injury or illness.
  • Office of the Ombuds, (858) 534-0777, an alternate channel for confidential, neutral, and informal dispute resolution
If you have any questions or concerns about resolving conflicts, please contact Mary via email or phone at (858) 534-0150. The Student Employment Office is here as a resource for YOU.

Where do I find my W2s? (and other tax related questions)

The Student Employment Office can answer questions regarding student employment on campus and federal work-study. Unfortunately that does not cover specific tax related questions, but we can provide you with links to local and IRS resources that can assist you: Click here to find information about your tax related questions. If you need help preparing your taxes the San Diego Public Library assists in tax preparation. Look at their calendar of events in order to see when you can go in and get help. If the San Diego Public Library does not work for you, you can search here for free tax preparation services nearby.

Who is eligible to be employed on-campus?

In order to work on-campus students must pay UCSD Student Services Fees each quarter working (must pay Spring UCSD student services fees or be a new or readmit UC student Fall quarter to work summer).

What documents can I use for employment eligibility verification?

Examples of the most common forms of identification: Driver’s License or State or School ID Card AND a Birth Certificate or Social Security Card OR a current US Passport or Permanent Resident Alien Card. For more information on which documents are acceptable, click here.


What requirements must I need to use my work-study award?

  • Be a UC San Diego undergraduate student enrolled in a minimum of 6 units.
  • Must pay UC San Diego Student Services Fees each quarter you are working.
  • Demonstrate satisfactory academic progress in a program leading to a degree, according to federal standards.
  • Have been offered and officially accepted a work-study award for the current academic year.

How do I use my work-study?

From TritonLink, take a copy of your award information to the job interview. If you already work on campus, notify the timekeeper that you would like to use your award. Most campus departments and some off-campus agencies employ students with work-study.

What work-study programs are available to me?

There are three programs offered to students at UC San Diego.

  • Federal Program- funded by the Federal government; educationally-related and/or community service positions that are on-campus or with local nonprofit, governmental or community-based organizations.
  • Reading/Math Tutoring Program- funded by the Federal government; work as a reading tutor with pre-K through 6th grade students and/or family literacy programs or as a math tutor, K through 9th grades. Both assist school children in developing or improving their reading and/or math skills and are with school districts and other nonprofit agencies.
  • University Program - funded by UC for campus positions.

How do I create a work-study job?

If you would like to use your work-study award in your current on-campus job, contact the Timekeeper in your department to make them aware that you have an award they may utilize.

How do I view available on-campus positions?

Port Triton, use the Advanced Search tab. In Position Type, select (one or all of the following): On-Campus: Work-Study not required but may be used; On-Campus: Work-Study Required and/or Off-Campus: Work-Study Required.

How is a work-study job different from a "regular" job?

It is the same as a "regular" job. You work hours and receive a paycheck. The Federal government pays a portion of your wages and the employing department pays the other portion.

Do I get a check for the amount shown on my award notification?

Once you are working, you submit hours worked and receive a paycheck for those hours. You can earn up to the dollar amount of your work-study award. Once the award amount has been earned, it is up to the employing department to determine if your job will continue.

Does work-study guarantee that I will get a job?

All jobs are competitive and may require a resume and interview. If you are having difficulty securing a work-study job, contact Mary Lewis to schedule an appointment to discuss.

Do I have to pay the money back?

A work-study award is not a loan. It is an award for you to earn and use. There is no penalty if the award is not earned. You do not pay it back.

Are taxes taken out of my work-study earnings?

Yes, if you earn enough according to IRS tax rules.

Where may I obtain assistance?

The Career Center is located on Library Walk. To speak with out Work-Study Coordinator, come to the 2nd floor of the Career Center.

Connect with Student Employment

 facebook icon  instagram logo  twitter logo