Choose a Major
Picking a major can feel overwhelming. Knowledge about careers, your interests and values as well as school requirements can make the process easier. In addition to the links below, career services advisors can provide guidance to help you make your decision.
- Meet with an advisor in the academic program you are considering to discuss the required courses.
- Meet with a career advisor to discuss job options that supports the major you are considering.
- What is the philosophy of the department?
- What are the faculty backgrounds and research interests?
- What skills and knowledge will you gain from the major?
- What occupations and graduate programs have graduates of the major pursued?
- Sit in on a few classes to get a feel for the subject matter and professors' teaching styles.
- Talk to students in the major and ask for their assessment of the department, classes, and the professors.
- Consider using the career assessment tools to gain an understanding of your career interests and best suited majors. (Port Triton login required).
For additional help, come into the Career Services Center for drop-in hours or schedule an appointment with a Career Advisor via Port Triton.