Remember that open or public job boards result in more applicants and therefore fierce competition. Use these public and private job boards as only one part of your comprehensive job search plan. For best results: come into the Career Services Center to develop a personalized career search strategy with a career or internship advisor.
Recommended General Job Boards
How to use Job Boards effectively
For best results know what you are looking for before you start. Have an idea of what search terms (key words) to use, location(s) you are interested in, or perhaps what industry or company might need your skills. Start by reviewing the sources below:
- Take advantage of access to CareerInsider (via Port Triton) to read up-to-date career guides, employer profiles, industry blogs and discussions, and job boards.
- See Common Careers By Major This simple-to-use resource includes PDFs of keywords, types of employers, career strategies and industry areas organized by over 50 majors. Glean vocabulary to use as keywords for search for jobs or internships. The last column contains LINKS to industry specific job boards, as well as professional associations for networking, career advice and industry specific job boards.
- Search CollegeGrads.com to find a list of top companies that are specifically seeking recent college graduates and the Hoovers Directory for a list of companies by industry. See annual rankings of the top 100 Best Companies for insight on perks, pay and which companies to follow. Then go directly to the company website or do a keyword search for the company on job boards.
Field Specific Job Websites & Directories
Arts and Communications
- Gamasutra Job Board: art, communications, business and tech positions with gaming companies
- CareerBank: job postings for Finance, Banking, Mortgage, Insurance, and Accounting jobs
- Econjobs.org: economic & finance related positions
Human & Social Services
- Npworks.org: jobs with not for profit companies based in San Diego
- CA Community College Job Listings: database containing all open positions at California Community Colleges
- California Courts: Job postings within the judicial branch of California State government, including the Administrative Office of the Courts.
- EDJOIN: classified and certificated education, administrator, counselor, librarian positions with CA school districts.
- UC Employment: opportunities available throughout the UC System
- Opportunity NOCS: human and social service jobs and employment opportunities
Life Sciences & Health
- BioSpace.com: Pharma and biotech national job listing site searchable by job category, geographical region, or company
- CareerVitals.com: jobs in healthcare
- Science Jobs: A comprehensive database of world-wide positions, including research positions in industry, government, and academic settings
Urban Planning, Green, Environmental
- Green Dream Jobs: Search life science, business & communication jobs
- Clean Tech San Diego: Lists 764 green clean tech employers and a link to their website
- Geography Jobs: jobs in GIS, urban planning, the environment, transport planning, economic development, housing, engineering, and other geography-related fields
Technology & Physical Sciences
- Going Global: Log on via Port Triton to access to this world wide job board
- EFinancial: International and US banking and financial market jobs in a variety of industries
- World Wide Worker: a wide variety of energy jobs in a number of sectors
- Making the Difference -narrow your search for federal jobs here. Read articles on applying for federal jobs, background on the departments and agencies that make up the Federal Government, and who they are hiring.
- USA Jobs -the comprehensive Federal Government job board for students and recent graduates.
- Best Places to Work in the Federal Government: -analysis of federal employee satisfaction, background on government pay system, as well as information on hiring/training programs for students and recent graduates