General FAQs

Q. What is my employment type?

A: Casual/restricted is an appointment type that is reserved for a registered undergraduate or graduate student of the University of California. Casual/restricted appointments assist students in gaining work experience and financial support while pursuing their educational objectives. The number of working hours must take into consideration the student’s educational workload.

A casual/restricted appointee may be released at any time at the discretion of the University; however, the appointee must be notified of an early release in writing by the University. A casual/restricted appointment will automatically terminate on the last day of the appointment unless there is an earlier separation or formal extension of the appointment in writing.

Employment eligibility depends upon a student paying UC San Diego student services fees each quarter working. For summer employment, a student must have paid the prior spring quarter's UC San Diego student services fees or be a new fall quarter admit or readmit student.

Q: Where can I find on-campus jobs?

A: To search for on-campus jobs, use Handshake which has a variety of on-campus jobs (including work-study), and off-campus full-time, part-time, and internship positions.

Q: How many hours can I work as a student?

A: Students are non-exempt employees and, in the case of undergrads, may work up to 40 hours/week. At 20+ hours/week, students accrue and may use sick leave.

A student employee's total FTE across all jobs/appointments should not exceed 50%

If a student works 30+ hours each week and/or if they are enrolled in less than 6 units, DCP (Defined Contribution Plan) will be withheld from their paycheck. Although students may work up to and including 40 hours/week, the total number of hours a student may work in all positions combined is up to the department’s discretion and/or needs.

*International Students with work authorization are limited to work 20 hours/week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours/week in the summer. Please check with the International Students Program Office for additional information regarding your work authorization.

Q: How do I find an On-Campus Job as an International Student?

Q: What is STDT 2/3/4?

A: The student assistant series is comprised of 3 levels. These levels are based on the duties performed within the student job title.

  • Assistant 2 (STDT 2) 4921 - Grade 2, by agreement $16.30 – $22.80/hr as of 12/26/22: Under supervision, Assistant 2's perform a variety of clerical and/or manual related duties which are usually semi-skilled in nature and do not require extensive skill, training, or experience.
  • Assistant 3 (STDT 3) 4920  - Grade 3, by agreement $16.90 – $24.15/hr as of 12/26/22: Under general supervision, Assistant 3's perform a variety of skilled duties in support of academic research projects, student advising, and contact with the public; perform clerical and manual duties requiring limited use of specialized skills; and may, in addition, coordinate the work of a group of lower-level assistants. Assistant 3 class is distinguished from the Assistant 2 class by the greater use of specialized skills and/or the responsibility for coordinating the work of one or more groups of assistants.
  • Assistant 4 (STDT 4) 4919 - Grade 4, by agreement $17.55 – $25.60/hr as of 12/26/22: Under general supervision, Assistant 4's perform a variety of complex duties in support of academic research projects; perform clerical, manual, advising and/or public contact duties which require the use of specialized skills; and may, in addition, coordinate the work of a group of lower-level assistants. The Assistant 4 class is distinguished from the Assistant 3 class by the greater degree of complexity involved in research and related assignments, more frequent use of specialized skills, and/or the responsibility for coordinating the work of a larger group of assistants.

Note: Specific examples of job duties are defined by the individual department and are listed in the job description.

Q: What do I do if I have a problem or conflict with my employer?

A: Find resources on how to handle conflict in the workplace and how to interact with different personalities. If you have any questions or concerns about resolving conflicts, please contact the Student Employment Office. The Student Employment Office is here as a resource for YOU.

Here are some additional resources:

  • Office of Sexual Harassment Prevention and Policy, (858) 534-8298, deals with issues that involve unwanted sexual attention.
  • Office of the Ombuds, (858) 534-0777, an alternate channel for confidential, neutral, and informal dispute resolution

Q: What happens if I am injured while working?

A: First make sure to notify your immediate supervisor, and get to medical assistance if needed. You will also need to contact the Workers’ Compensation office at (858) 534-4785.

Q: Where do I find my W2's? (and/or other tax related questions)

A: W-2s may be found by logging into your employee account on UCPath Online.

For any additional tax related questions, refer to the IRS website.

*International Students should refer to the Glacier Office website or email

Q: Who is eligible to be employed on-campus?

A: In order to work on-campus students must pay UCSD Student Services Fees each quarter working (must have paid Spring UCSD student services fees or be a new or readmit UC student Fall quarter to work summer).

Q: What documents can I use for employment eligibility verification?

A: Examples of the most common forms of identification: Driver’s License or State or School ID Card AND a Birth Certificate or Social Security Card OR a current US Passport or Permanent Resident Alien Card. Find more information on  which documents are acceptable.

Note: All forms of identifications must be the originals, no copies may be accepted.

Getting Paid FAQs

Q: When do I get paid? When is My Time/my timesheet due?

A: UCSD Payroll can be either on a biweekly or monthly system, depending on your employment. See a list of current, future, and past payroll calendars. Due dates for paper time sheets will vary. Contact your supervisor or department timekeeper if you have any questions.

REMEMBER: You must save and complete your Ecotime timesheet.

Q: How will I be paid?

A: In order to be paid, student workers in the student assistant series (STDT 2/3/4) must either enroll in direct deposit with a financial institution of their choice OR receive their wages via paper pay check. Please consult your department Human Resources for additional information.

Q: How do I sign up for direct deposit?

A: Find out how to enroll in payroll direct deposit. After the current pay period, you should receive your paycheck via direct deposit.

*Note: if you do not sign up for direct deposit your pay check will be mailed to your home address you provided at the time of hire.  Pay checks are placed in U.S. Mail from the UCPath Center in Riverside, CA on pay day.  If you want to receive your pay check on the scheduled pay day,  signing up for direct deposit is highly recommended.

Q: How much can I expect to be paid?

A: The minimum wage on campus is $16.85 (effective 12/24/2023). The exact rate is based on your job functions and the STDT classification.

Payroll Deduction FAQs

Q: What is DCP?

A: DCP is a qualified retirement plan and is the university equivalent to FICA.

Under the Federal Insurance Contributions Act, (FICA) every employer is responsible for taking federal payroll taxes out of employee’s compensation for Social Security and Medicare. The California State Assembly authorized the University to mandate that employees who are not members of the University of California Retirement Plan become “safe harbor” participants in the DCP, in lieu of contributing to Social Security.

Fortunately, students can be exempt from both taxes if they are registered for at least half-time (6 units at UCSD) AND working less than 80% (less than 64 hours over a two week pay period).

If a student is not registered at least 6 units AND/OR is working more than 64 hours over a two week pay period, they will no longer be exempt and DCP will be deducted from their check. Students who loose exemption status will have 7.5% of their gross wages deducted for DCP and 1.45% deducted for Medicare.

*All international students (F-1 and J-1 visas) who are nonresident aliens (for U.S. tax purposes only) are exempt from DCP.

Q: Who is exempt from DCP / Medicare deductions? Am I still exempt during the summer?

A: Students are exempt from DCP/Medicare deductions if they are registered for at least half-time (6 units at UCSD) AND working less than 80% (less than 64 hours over a two week pay period). All international students (F-1 and J-1 visas) who are nonresident aliens (for U.S. tax purposes only) are also exempt.

In order to stay in safe harbor and not have DCP/Medicare deducted from your check over the summer, you must be enrolled at least half-time (6 units each summer sessions) and work less than 80% (less than 64 hours over a two week pay period).

Q: What do I do if DCP/Medicare was taken out of my paycheck in error?

A: If you are enrolled at least half-time (6 units at UCSD) and working less than 80% (less than 64 hours over a two week pay period) then DCP/Medicare should NOT be taken from your check. If DCP/Medicare was taken out of your check in error, contact your Department Timekeeper for next steps.

Q: What does a DCP/Medicare deduction look like on my paycheck?

A: In your earnings statement, there will be an explanation under “Deduction” that an amount has been withheld for “DCPSAFEHRB” or “MEDICARE.” Don’t know how to view your earnings statement? Find out how to here. 

Q: Can I get the money taken for DCP back? What do I do once I graduate?

A: Once a person is no longer a student, they may request a distribution, arrange for a direct rollover to a traditional IRA/other employer plan, or keep the money in the Plan if the balance is at least $2,000. For any of these, please contact Fidelity.

Note: If you are under the age of 59 ½ and you request a distribution, or have the money paid back to you, 20% will be withheld for federal taxes. The money will be subject to a 10% federal tax and a 2.5% California state tax early distribution penalty in addition to ordinary income taxes. DCP is withheld on a pre-tax basis and becomes taxable income in the year it is distributed. A student who receives a distribution during the year will receive a tax statement (IRS Form 1099R) by January 31 of the next year.

Contact Us

Stop by the Student Employment Office, located at the Career Center on the first floor.

Send us an email