General Information and Strategies for Social Science Careers:
- Social Sciences can have broad degrees that can lead to job opportunities in many different fields. Skills and experiences gained through co-curricular activities, internships, part-time jobs, and volunteering are critical in shaping a career path. Develop a career goal and seek the right background to become a strong candidate.
- An example is Communications, which will prepare you for graduate school in many disciplines including law, education, business, public administration. Maintain a strong grade point average to increase opportunities for admission into graduate programs.
- Explore specializations within major and professional field. Select electives to enhance knowledge in area(s) of interest or find a minor that will add value.
- Develop strong written and verbal communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills. Gain experience with public speaking by joining Toastmasters.
- Get involved in campus activities and professional organizations. Learn to work well on a team and develop leadership skills.
- Build a network of contacts. Once in a position, find an experienced mentor.
Explore Social Sciences and Social Science Related Career Paths
- Cognitive Science
- Critical Gender Studies
- Education Studies
- Ethnic Studies
- Global Health
- Human Development Sciences
- Latin American Studies
- Political Science
- Urban Studies
- Psychology Undergraduate Research
Assist in project design, running subjects, and collecting and evaluating data under the supervision of a faculty member or graduate student.
- Psychology Undergraduate Apprentice Teaching
Assist in the classroom, learn the methodologies of teaching, and obtain teaching skills under the supervision of a faculty member or graduate student.
- Psychology Undergraduate Internships
Assist in a professional setting under the advisement of a faculty member.
- Psychology Education Abroad
Travel abroad and gain educational experience in a setting outside UC San Diego.
Psychology Professional Organizations
The American Psychological Association (APA) is the world's largest organization of psychologists. Students who join have the opportunity to learn more about a career in psychology by subscribing to APA journals and books, and receiving publications containing news of the discipline along with job opportunities. (For information, please write to: American Psychological Association, Membership Office, 750 First Street, NE, Washington, DC 20002-4242.)
The Association for Psychological Science (APS) is a recently created organization of psychologists with similar goals as APA. For more information or joining, please contact: APS, PO Box 90457, Washington, DC 20090-0457.
One of the best ways to learn more about a career interest area is to join a campus organization related to your career interest or pursue an academic related internship. Click on the links below to check out the 100's of organizations offered and/or academic internships available at UCSD.
Prep For Graduate School
Before applying to graduate school, you want to consider whether graduate school is right for you. You want to ask yourself if you actually need a graduate degree to work in your ideal job. To explore that, try looking at some job descriptions of the types of positions you want and see what they are asking for in an applicant. Once you determine if graduate school is necessary then you want to select and apply to the program that best fits your professional goals.
- Attend our Graduate School Fair to learn about programs from school representatives
- Attend an Idealist Graduate Degree Fair
Alumni can provide an important role in your career development:
- LinkedIn can serve as a great tool to help in your journey. There you can find alumni in many different companies.
GET THE JOB
Television, Film, Radio & Entertainment
FOX 5 San Diego
KFMB - Channel 8/CBS
KPBS - Channel 15
KNSD - Channel 7/NBC
KGTV - Channel 10/ABC
Media Arts Center San Diego
New Country 95.7
San Diego 6
San Diego Film Commission
San Diego Latino Film Festival
Sony Online Entertainment
Journalism, Writing & Editing
Marketing, Advertising & Public Relations
Meeting Sites Pro
PEK Interactive, Inc.
Port of San Diego
San Diego Chargers
San Diego Workforce Partnership
Sea World San Diego
Transworld Media (Sports Publishing)
United States Olympic Committee