Prepare for Public
Confirm your interest in public health, prepare academically and develop the necessary skills and experience:
Take the Academic Pre-Requisites
Identify School Pre-Requisites and the UC San Diego classes you can take to meet them. This varies greatly depending on area of concentration. Please check individual schools for their specific pre-requisites.
- Consider the Public Health major, or the Global Health or Health Care-Social Issues minors
- Consider a part-time job as a Community Health Program Rep (often listed in UCSD Job Bulletin)
- Check UCSD Global Health Program, Field Experience Opportunities
- Internships and Fellowships
- Public Health: Student Experiential and Research Opportunities
- Academic Internship Program (UCDC Internships) in Public Health and Medicine
- Academic Internship Program (UC Center Sacramento Internships) in Healthcare
Join a Student Organization
Public health-related student groups include the following:
Public Health Brigades provides public health services to people in poor countries in Latin America.
Public Health Club at UCSD provides excellent opportunities to meet other public health students, faculty, local practitioners, and visiting programs.
Student Health Advocates gives students great experience working with public health issues at Student Health on campus.
International Health Collective strives to alleviate disparities in the San Diego–Tijuana region and abroad using an approach that is culturally sensitive, holistic, and sustainable.
Additional Preparation Information
Learn more about gaining experience - clinical, service, leadership, and research.